The Church of St Francis

St Francis Church on Triq ir-Repubblika was built in 1598 and was completed by 1607. After a few decades it developed
structural defects and in 1681 it was built anew through the generosity of Grand Master Giorgio Carafa, whose coat of
arms adorns the façade. The church was enlarged in the 1920s following plans by Emanuel Borg, which also included a
dome. This required the removal of some frescos by Giuseppe Calì, which were replaced with others by Gianni Vella.