The Church of Our Lady of Victories

When the city of Valletta was inaugurated in 1566, a chapel was built where the foundation stone was laid by Grand Master La Valette. It was initially dedicated to the Nativity of Our lady. Later La Valette dedicated the same chapel to Our Lady of Victory to commemorate the end of the Great Siege. Grand Master La Valette died on 22 August 1568 and was buried in this church. His remains together with those of Grand Master Pietro del Monte were transferred to the Crypt of St John’s cathedral when work on this magnificent building was completed.