Auberge d’Italie

Also erected by Girolamo Cassar in 1574, this was the Palazzo of the “Knights of the Italian Langue”. Later, the building served as a law Court. However, today it houses the main post office. Because the chief of Italian Knights usually doubled as Captain of the Fleet, the grand hall, just inside the entrance, served as a meeting place for the “Congregation of the Galleys”, something similar to the supreme command of the fleet, which had the leading captains amongst its ranks.